Comedy Central finally announced Jon Stewart’s replacement for the "Daily Show" – Trevor Noah. Thing is no one seems to have a clue who this guy is.
Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart. The fact that most are going to have no clue who he is, is good news for comedy.— Subodh Yohan Sudheer (@Subodhyohan) March 30, 2015
The biracial comedian and South African native is relatively unknown in the United States, yet that doesn’t negate his large following (2 million Facebook fans!) and the unique, fresh perspective he can bring to late night television.
“He brings such a unique worldview and a deep understanding of human nature, which makes his comedy so insightful.” Comedy Central President Michele Ganeless told the New York Times. “He’s truly a student of the world.”
No-one can replace Jon Stewart. But together with the amazing team at The Daily Show, we will continue to make this the best damn news show!— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) March 30, 2015
But really, who is this guy and what made him so deserving of becoming the next "Daily Show" host? Here’s what makes the 31-year-old comedian so special:
1. He’s only appeared on the "Daily Show" three times, but his insight and creativity made him instantly stand out.
2. He was “born a crime.” The comedian often jokes about his mixed race (his mother is South African and his father is Swiss) and how his parents’ marriage was illegal during apartheid.
3. He speaks eight languages, including German, Afrikaans and Zulu.
5. He was the first South African comedian to perform on the "Tonight Show" and "The Late Show with David Letterman."
6. He was nominated for Personality of the Year at the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards and featured on the October 2014 cover of GQ South Africa.