For the September 2015 issue of Harper's Bazaar, 9 celebrities were transformed into an icon from history, mythology, or literature. Oprah Winfrey and Mariah Carey, to be transformed into their own personal icons for the 2015 Icons portfolio in the September Issue of Harper’s Bazaar.
Carine Roitfeld, Founder and Editor-in-chief of CR Fashion Book, was the brains behind this photoshoot.
She and famed photographer Jean-Paul Goude asked each of the celebrities to identify an icon of their choice.
"Who do you want to be? Who is your fantasy?"
Then each celebrity was dressed, posed, and photographed in emulation of a famous picture or painting of the icon.
Some of the resultant photos are surprising, in an inventive fusion sort of way, while others are just a perfect match.
1. Katy Perry as Elizabeth Taylor
2. Willow Smith as the Hindu Goddess Kali
Recommended: Celebrity Halloween Costumes! PHOTOS
3. Mariah Carey as Marie Antoinette
Well, okay, it looks more like Fragonard's The Swing
But still stunning!
4. Jessica Chastain as Joan of Arc
5. Oprah as Glinda the Good Witch
6. Dakota Johnson as a modern Aphrodite
7. Lucky Blue as Liberace
8. Chris Lee as Coco Chanel
9. Rosie Huntington-Whitely as Diana Vreeland