It’s been nearly four years since Michael Jackson’s death, but news surrounding the pop legend’s untimely demise continues to surface. It’s fitting that Michael Jackson, who constantly mystified society by his erratic behavior, would continue to do even after he was gone. Michael Jackson died of an accidental overdose of propofol, and it appears that drug also caused Michael Jackson to go without true sleep for sixty days leading up to his death.
Michael Jackson’s personal physician, Conrad Murray, prescribed propofol to Michael Jackson as a sleep aid; a move other doctors say would have killed Jackson soon enough, even if the overdose hadn’t happened. Michael Jackson passed out; he did not sleep.
Propofol inhibits the body’s ability to enter REM sleep, which is the most crucial part of the sleep cycle. While taking propofol, Michael Jackson may have been able to get to sleep, and wake up feeling refreshed, but at no point was he entering the REM cycle of sleeping which means he did not “truly” sleep a single night for 60 days. Propofol is never given as a sleep aid for this reason.
A lack of REM sleep killed lab rats after five weeks. A lack of sleep is known to cause paranoia, depression, anxiety, dizziness, lack of appetite, and a number of other symptoms. Michael Jackson exhibited a number of these symptoms leading up to his death, and while initially most associated Jackson’s deteriorating state to the stress of his upcoming world tour, this lack of REM sleep seems to be the real reason for his behavior.
This new information stems from the ongoing court case the Jackson family has brought against AEG live. AEG Live is the company responsible for the ill-fated Michael Jackson tour, and the Jackson estate is now suing them, claiming AEG Live is responsible for Jackson’s death as they enlisted Conrad Murray to give Jackson the drugs that ultimately killed him.
As this trial moves onward, who knows what else will become known about the weeks and months leading to the King of Pop’s death.