Deaths from drug overdose rose steadily over the past two decades. Not just among average Joes, but in the celebrity world, where drug use is widespread. For some, snorting, shooting and smoking is a fashionable thing to do in Hollywood.
But the deadly consequences of drug addiction don't care how famous you are. Drug and alcohol addiction is a scourge in Hollywood and has claimed some of the industry's most creative people:
Heath Ledger is best known for his scene-stealing work in The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain. Ledger, who was 28, was found dead in bed in his New York apartment by his housekeeper in 2008. The actor had died from a strong dose of painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety drugs.
The Grammy-winning recording was 27 when she died from alcohol intoxication due to a blood alcohol level of more than 0.4 percent, at her home in England in 2011. It was no secret that she battled with alcohol addiction and had refused treatment. She even wrote an entire song about it.
The Glee star was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room in 2013. The 31-year-old died from a mix of heroin and alcohol. The Glee star acknowledged his drug addiction started from a young age and he was even sent to rehab at the age of 19.
Known as one of the greatest singer ever and awarded as the most cited female act of all time by the Guinness World Records in 2009, the 48-year-old diva was found submerged in the bathtub of her suite where she was getting ready for a pre-Grammy party at the Beverly Hills Hotel in 2012. Whitney had battled with drug addiction for many years.
Philip Seymour Hoffman
The 46-year-old Oscar-winning actor was found dead by a friend in his New York apartment in 2014. Hoffman died from a mixture of heroin, cocaine and amphetamines.
The American actress, model and singer, who became the major screen sex symbol of all time is still arguably the world's most famous blonde, died in 1962. The 36-year-old was found dead in her bed with an empty bottle of sleeping tablets by her side. It was ruled to be "acute barbiturate poisoning" but it’s still not clear whether it was an accidental overdose or suicide.
Banner and thumbnail credit: Reuters