It wouldn’t be wrong to assume that critics have finally influenced the fashion world – a world which looks very glamorous to us but has its own weird working standards and conditions which a normal person cannot even relate to.
Where we have seen various magazines emphasizing that they are not promoting underweight models, British Vogue has signed up to a new code of conduct on working conditions for models.
The leading fashion name has become the first publication to sign a 10-point code put up by Equity, a UK trade union for professional performers.
The deal contains 10 main points which include:
- Models will not work for more than 10 hours and must take break after 5 hours.
- They need to eat and would be provided with suitable food on shoots.
- Nude and semi- nude shoot can only be done if approved in advance.
- No model should be asked to do anything dangerous, degrading, unprofessional or demeaning.
- No model under the age of 16 or with eating disorders can be used in photo shoots.
- The code also includes transport and prompt payment.
Last year, a Health Initiative pact was agreed between the 20 international editors of Vogue for the promotion of a healthier approach to body image. The fashion world treated the pact with much criticism for continuing to endorse underweight models regardless of the deaths of many.
The editor-in-chief of British Vogue, Alexandra Schulmansaid the fashion bible has been working with agencies to mentor and guide young models. She told the Evening Standard:
Equity hopes that many other magazines and publications will now follow in Vogue’s footsteps and sign the code. Well, now it’s up to the magazines to ensure that working conditions are according to the standards for models or not.
For now British and American Vogue, both have already vowed not to use models under 16 or who might have an eating disorder.
The deal indeed is a benchmark in promoting a healthy body image in the industry.
What’s your take on Vogue’s latest attempt? Do you think Vogue in the long run will abide to all these rules? Let us know with your comments.