It seems like a no-brainer: Don't call 911 if you're not experiencing an emergency.
Simple, clear, obvious.
However, British Columbia’s largest 9-1-1 public-safety organization knows that folks don't always abide by the "it's- an-emergency-for-reals" guidelines.
To help out errant 9-1-1 callers, E-Comm has released a list of its top ten reasons NOT to call the emergency line. We're sad that this list exists, yet fascinated by these bozo reasons.
Numbers 8, 9 and 10 sound like they came from Grandma's house. Numbers 5, 6 and 7 might just be from someone smokin' the good stuff.
1. Wi-Fi at a local coffee shop isn’t working (The year's most popular non-emergency call)
2. "What’s the fine for jay walking?"
3. Pizza not fresh; wants a replacement slice
4. “What’s the number for my travel agency?”
5. Caller phoned 9-1-1 to ask for a taxi referral
6. “Is today a state holiday?”
7. Food they ordered is cold
8. Wants help finding lost glasses
9. Home Internet is not working
10. “What’s the date today?”
Still confused? Print this list and keep it by the phone (or the bong).
And a big thank-you to the men and women who answer these calls and dispatch help. Keep up the good work!