Trending Stories that Rise to the Top




Oreo-Flavored Oreos: Great Cookie, Or Greatest Cookie?


Oreo is now offering cookies 'n cream, or Oreo ice cream, flavored Oreos. We have reached a critical mass here.

Cookies n' Creme Oreos, or Oreo-flavored Oreos

All hail the glory that is the Meta-Cookie: Oreo-flavored Oreos!  (Image Sources: Flickr: YoAmes, theimpulsebuy)

It is hard to make, let alone have, the perfect dessert.  It is even harder to manufacture said dessert for the masses.  But in recent years, Nabisco has attempted to make the most of it by creating unique flavors of Oreo cookie.  Some were pretty great, others only seemed like a good idea on paper and really made you vomit rainbows.  The problem, however, is that all of this is unnecessary since the Oreo is already a great cookie, enough to have its own flavor of ice cream, and there is not much you can do to change that that will make it even better.  There was no need for marketing gimmicks.  Except that Nabisco managed to just that by creating the meta-cookie: Oreo-flavored Oreos.

Technically, the flavor of Oreo is called "Cookies n' Creme."  The Oreo is so named because the filling or frosting or CREAM or whatever you would like to call it is flavored to be like cookies and cream ice cream.  This is the thing about cookies and cream ice cream, however:  It is a generic name and flavor for what we tend to call Oreo-flavored ice cream.  That is because cookies and cream ice cream is, 90% of the time, a heavy vanilla ice cream filled with crumpled Oreos or an Oreo knockoff.  The remaining 10% of cookies and cream ice cream uses simply hard chocolate cookies without frosting, to which I say you are being conned by the ice cream maker and should write to your mayor.

So now Nabisco has brought the desert cycle to full circle with Cookies n' Creme Oreos, attaining a level of dessert transcendence of which no person has thought possible.  Delicious does not even begin to describe what we are seeing here with Oreo-flavored Oreos on sale.  It is like ascending to a higher plane of taste with these Oreos.  Perhaps Nabisco have been leading us from behind with these limited edition Oreo flavors (such as Birthday Cake and Sherbet), just so that when they released these Oreo-flavored Oreos, the ascendance to dessert apotheosis would be that much more satisfying.  If that is the case, we should be thankful.


Carbonated.TV
2013-09-17 11:19:33.0