Looking For A Reason To Quit Fast Food? We’ll Give You 10

by
Fast-food giants like McDonald's, Taco Bell and KFC are increasingly becoming less popular, according to Consumer Reports' latest fast-food review.

“The results track with sales results at many of the major fast-food chains, which are struggling to find the right recipe to woo younger U.S. diners who increasingly are seeking fresher, healthier food,” Reuters reported on Wednesday.

If you are also one of those people who wants to quit fast food but can’t because it is – well – so addictive, then here are 10 facts that will help you make the decision once and for all.

The meat is not real

Beef or chicken, meat used in fast food chains is usually processed to death. Apart from that it sometimes isn’t even real meat.

Beef:

Beef

In 2011, Taco Bell generated controversy when reports alleged that its meat was only 36 percent beef.

Although the fast food chain clarified last year that that they are serving 88 percent meat, there's still doubt as to the what constitutes the remaining 12 percent.

Chicken:

Chicken

The so-called chicken used in patties and nuggets is not what you think it is.

In 20100, Jamie Oliver started a campaign to get ammonium-hydroxide-treated meats like chicken and beef out of the food supply.

A year later, McDonald’s announced that it would stop using the controversial method to treat its protein-based products – which proved that they were using it in the first place.

Here’s a video of Oliver’s gross “pink slime” discovery:

French fries have nothing to do with potatoes:

French fries

In 2010, Marion Nestle, chairwoman of NYU's food studies program, told Salon that McDonald’s would have to use “really a lot of” sodium propionate to prevent bacterial or mold growth.

Buns with shoe chemicals:

Buns

Azodicarbonamide has been revealed as an ingredient in buns at places like McDonald's and Chick-fil-A. Subway announced this year that it would drop the chemical that is used to make shoes and yoga mats.

The egg sandwich is not an “egg” sandwich:

The egg sandwich is not an “egg” sandwich

Forbes writer David DiSalvo discovered that fast food chains’ "eggs" were not really protein but "premium egg blend” that included chemicals like glycerin, a soap and shaving cream solvent. It also contained a silicone that can also be found in a sealant used for construction.

Salads with questionable ingredients:

Salads

Many fast food chains improve their salads with propylene glycol for crispiness. While the chemical compound is safe for human consumption, it is still controversial since it is also found in antifreeze and sexual lubricants.

The chili contains something you wouldn’t want to consume otherwise:

The chili

As heartbreaking as it may be for chili lovers, Wendy’s chili contains silicon dioxide.

Also known as silica, silicon dioxide can be found in quartz or sand. It is an "anti-caking agent” that essentially allows the chili to look fresh.

Fast-food ice is dirtier than toilet bowls:

Fast-food ice

Last year, Chinese television CCTV revealed that ice cubes used by fast-food giants KFC, McDonald's and Guangzhou-based Kungfu at branches in Beijing contained bacteria far in excess of the national limit.

In fact, the ice cubes were so dirty that "some were even dirtier than toilet bowl water."

The sauces are not just tomato-based:

The sauces

The Food and Drug Administration's reports on "Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement and Criminal Investigations," states it's acceptable for sauces to contain "30 or more fly eggs per 100 grams" and "1 or more maggot per 100 grams.” Fast food chains follow the quantity limit which means their sauces are made up of pretty disgusting stuff.

Papa John’s dirty secret:

Papa John’s

Papa John's used to raise sows in gestation crates until after 2013 when the controversy made headlines and they had to stop doing it.

Still care for a slice?

And then there are these examples that keep cropping up:

Fries

Carbonated.TV
View Comments

Recommended For You