A 5 year-old boy killed his 2 year-old sister with a .22 caliber rifle he got as a present in Burkesville Kentucky. Gary White, the local coroner, said that the shooting would be ruled an accident. He added that the boy was used to shooting the rifle, but the family didn't realize that a shell had been left inside. The children's mother was nearby when the shooting occured: she had been outside on their porch "no more than three minutes."
This is one more tragic example of how simple mistakes can turn tragic when guns are involved. Statistics show that the presence of a gun in one's household makes a tragedy more, not less likely, and these sorts of accidents are a big reason why. People tend to think that they will be more responsible than others, and it's likely that this family thought they were teaching their son to be a responsible gun user by introducing him to firearms at a young age.
Perhaps guns can be made safer to help prevent these accidents, but more important is that people learn that no gun is a safe gun.