'Grindr Serial Killer' Sparks Probe Of 58 Date-Rape Deaths

by
editors
Stephen Port has already been convicted of the murder of four young men, but the police are looking into 58 more deaths, fearing more cases may be linked to him.

Scotland Yard is currently reviewing 58 deaths in London that took place over the last four years for a possible link to a serial killer.

Convicted serial killer and rapist Stephen Port was found guilty of poisoning and murdering four young men between 2014 and 2015. Now, the authorities are investigating 58 more deaths they fear might be linked to the 41-year-old. The cops are currently looking into cases that involve the specific drug Port used to trap his victims.

Port used a gay dating app, Grindr, to lure young men to his London flat. He then drugged them with gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) and later dumped their bodies in or near a graveyard within 500 meters of his house. Between August 2014 and September 2015, he murdered Gabriel Kovari, 22, from Lewisham; Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent; Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham, east London, and Anthony Walgate, 23.

Although Port has denied 29 charges so far, he has been found guilty of four rape cases, four sexual assault cases and 10 offenses of administering a substance with intent.

Read More: Gang Rapists Who Left Teen To Freeze To Death Won’t Receive Jail Time

Despite his extensive record of murders and offenses, it is surprising that police and authorities never got hold of Port.

The Metropolitan Police accepted it was at fault, missing "potential opportunities" in investigating the deaths. Victims are now being urged to come forward with any information or reports they may have against the man.

Port desired boyish-looking, smaller men, who he referred to as "twinks," according to information received during a trial.

The body of one victim, Daniel Whitworth, was found wrapped in a blue bed sheet in the churchyard on Sept. 20, 2014. A bottle of the drug GBL was retrieved from his pocket along with a fake suicide note, written by Port.

The note said Whitworth had accidentally killed Kovari, another of Port’s victims, and was taking his own life as a result.

"Please do not blame the guy I was with last night,” it additionally read.

This is where it all started off.

Coroner Nadia Persaud, who was investigating the case, raised concerns that a third party may be involved. The unraveling of more cases, specifically Taylor’s death, resulted in the blue bed sheet being tested, which revealed Port's DNA .The bottle found in Whitworth’s pocket was also checked for fingerprints, which traced back to Port once again. It was then that the deaths were investigated and Port was convicted of four murders.  

Seventeen Metropolitan Police officers are now under formal investigation for misconduct by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and have been referred for potential disciplinary action.

Taylor’s family plans to sue the police. They claim that if the officers had done their job, the 25-year-old would still be alive.

Read More: After 28 Years, China's 'Jack The Ripper' Is Now In Police Custody

"The police should be held accountable for Jack's death. We do understand it's not them who took Jack's life, but Stephen Port would have been stopped,” the family said.

"While timely and commendable, this verdict is no compensation for the loss of four young gay men who had their lives, hopes and dreams cut short,” human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said. He believes the negligence on the part of the police is the result of class, gender and sexual bias.

The police are investigating 58 deaths involving GHB while Port awaits his sentence, due Friday.

Carbonated.TV