Afghan Suicide Bomb 'Kills Six'

A suicide bomb attack in northern Afghanistan has left at least six Afghan civilians dead, officials say.

A suicide bomb attack in northern Afghanistan has left at least six Afghan civilians dead, officials say.

Sources told the BBC the bomber had targeted a meeting of officials in a park in Maymana, the capital of Faryab province.

Dozens of people were hurt, a number of them critically, with some unconfirmed Nato casualties. Most of the foreign forces in Faryab are Norwegians.

Attacks in northern Afghanistan are less common than in the south and east.

Nato on Wednesday announced separately that three of its soldiers had been killed in three attacks on Tuesday.

Strategic partnership

A former MP, Haji Ahmad Khan, told the BBC: ''There was a meeting. A big function in Maymana close to a main market. The suicide attacker got inside the meeting and attacked. There is blood everywhere. There are body parts scattered.''

A senior police official in Maymana added: ''The suicide attacker was on foot. Most of those killed and injured are local shopkeepers."

There are some 130,000 Nato-led troops in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban-led insurgency, with most due to be withdrawn by the end of 2014.

Nato and the government of President Hamid Karzai are still working on a strategic partnership agreement on Nato involvement after that date.

The Taliban have continued their campaign of gun and bomb attacks on Nato forces this year.

The number of incidents rose after the burning of Korans by US troops at base in February.

Tensions were further inflamed by the killing of 17 Afghan civilians, including nine children on 11 March by US Staff Sgt Robert Bales, 38, in their homes in Kandahar province.