An alternative medicine conference in Germany ended in a hallucinogen-fueled frenzy when dozens of participants accidentally took “an LSD-like” synthetic psychedelic drug and started hallucinating.
What’s even crazier is the fact that these practitioners appear to have overdosed on the drug called Aquarust by accident – meaning they either had no idea what the drug could do, or someone slipped them the hallucinogens as a practical joke.
The 29 “Heilpraktikers” – which means “healing practitioners” in German – were reportedly “staggering around, rolling in a meadow, talking gibberish and suffering severe cramps” when someone alerted the paramedics.
The attendees, all aged 24 to 56, tested positive for 2C E – a drug not widely known or used outside of Germany and Austria. It’s also illegal in several countries, including Switzerland and the United States.
About 150 paramedics, nurses, and police officers arrived at the hotel in Hamburg to round up the “raving” guests, some of whom were suffering from delusions, breathing problems, heart palpitations and cramps.
“It must have been a multiple overdose. That does not support the view that the people concerned took the hallucinogen knowingly," narcotics expert Torsten Passie told German broadcaster NDR. “One has to assume that people were not told about the substance, its effects and risks before taking it.”
The case, which possibly violates Germany’s Narcotics Act, is still under investigation and no arrests have been made yet.
Meanwhile, the Association of German Healing Practitioners – which is a real thing – has issued a statement in an attempt to distance itself from the situation, claiming they don’t know these particular practitioners or what they were doing in that field.
“The organizers of this obscure conference are unknown to us and such events will not be tolerated by our association,” the statement read. “Unfortunately, the conference in Handeloh has severely damaged the image of the alternative medicine profession … and we have clarified that such acts are not in the spirit of natural therapy, and contradict our values both morally and legally.”
Aquarust is a psychedelic drug, also known as “Europa” or “Tootsie,” and can cause muscle tension, aching, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and paranoia, according to The Independent.