Boston Marathon Explosions: Latest Updates

by
Owen Poindexter
The death count is expected to go up, according to an interviewee on wbur, Boston's public radio station. WBUR also reports that one of the explosives appears to be a "homemade device." They also have an unconfirmed report of two other devices that have been found.

UPDATE: More sources are reporting that over 100 are injured, but still only 2 people reported dead. No suspect is presently being held, despite what you might hear from a certain Rupert Murdoch owned newspaper.

UPDATE: Current updates have the number of injured up to around 100. These figures are not as solid as the previously reported ones, and it is possible that some are related to the actual marathon, not the explosions. Still, it is clear that the number injured from the explosions has gone up substantially.

The incident at the JFK LIbrary was apparently related to a fire, not an explosion, and there are no injuries:

UPDATE: A third explosion has gone off at the JFK Library in Boston. No reports yet on if there were any injuries, casualties or damage, or if it was even connected to the first two explosions.

According to one reporter, some of the parents of the slain children from the attack at Newtown, CT were running in the marathon.

President Obama has been briefed on the explosions at the Boston Marathon, and has told Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick that he will provide any and all assistance that he can.

Original story:

Two explosions went off at the finish line of the Boston marathon, killing at least 2 people and injuring at least 30 people. The death count is expected to go up, according to an interviewee on wbur, Boston's public radio station. WBUR also reports that one of the explosives appears to be a "homemade device." They also have an unconfirmed report of two other devices that have been found.

Here is what other media outlets are saying. Some are reporting numbers that are much more drastic:

The Daily Mail: "'Up to 12 people dead and dozens more seriously injured' as two explosions rock finish line of Boston Marathon leaving behind scene of carnage."

NBC News: "The blasts were described by race organizers as two bombs, and witnesses told NBC News that there were widespread injuries, some severe."

Jackie Bruno, a reporter for New England Cable News, said on Twitter that she saw people’s legs blown off.

“Runners were coming in and saw unspeakable horror,” she said."

The New York Times: "The Associated Press reported that the authorities were helping injured runners leave the scene and bloody spectators were being carried to a medical tent that was being used for runners.

The A.P. said that a loud explosion was heard on the north side of Boylston Street, near a photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion was heard several seconds later.

Local television showed ambulances at the scene. Pictures posted online showed several injured runners being attended to and smoke around the finish line."

The Atlantic Wire: "The headquarters at the Boston Marathon have been locked down after at least two bombs went off near the downtown finish line mid-Monday afternoon. Boston Police confirmed at least two dead and 23 injuries (law enforcement officials told the New York Post that the explosions may have left at least 12 casualties), while there were gruesome images from the street to makeshift tents and Boston hospitals of lost limbs, hair on fire, children with severe burns, and worse."

Business Insider: "There are people who are really, really bloody," runner Laura McLean of Toronto told the AP. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

"It was just an explosion, it came out of nowhere," Boston.com sports producer Steve Silva, who was at the scene, said. " There are multiple injuries. I saw dismemberment, I saw blood everywhere. People are badly injured."

Carbonated.TV