Keith Scott’s Family Has More Questions After Watching Shooting Video

by
editors
Police are now backtracking on their assertion that Keith Lamont Scott was “definitively” holding a weapon amid the family’s call to release police videos.

Keith Scott family attorneys

After watching two videos, one shot by a bodycam and another by a dashcam, which showed the moments before Keith Lamont Scott death, the family is left with “more questions than answers.”

Justin Bamberg, the Scott’s family attorney, said on Thursday afternoon the family is now speaking out, and after viewing the video, has a different version of the story than the police.

The statement released by Bamberg contained an interpretation of the footage, which could easily be corroborated by the public if only the police would release it.

“When told by police to exit his vehicle, Mr. Scott did so in a very calm, non-aggressive manner. While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time. It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands. When he was shot and killed, Mr. Scott's hands were by his side and he was slowly walking backwards,” Bamberg stated.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg police previously alleged that Scott came out of his car carrying a gun and the police shot him thinking he “posed an imminent deadly threat to officers.” However, in a press conference on Thursday Police Chief Kerr Putney backtracked on his statement saying it could not be “definitively” seen that Scott was holding a weapon.

Read More: USA Today Columnist On Charlotte Protesters: ‘Run Them Down’

In spite of the “definitive” lack of firearm, how could the police still see it fit to shoot the man? How could Scott obey police commands and drop something that he wasn’t “definitively” holding in the first place?

The family of the victim is insisting the CMPD release the video “as a matter of the greater good and transparency,” yet the police are still reluctant to do so.

The mayor of Charlotte, Jennifer Roberts, has backed the CMPD in this regard.

"The transparency would be helpful if the footage is clear and if it covers all the different parts of what happened that evening,” she said. “Since I haven't seen it, I'm not certain of that and that may be the case. There were a couple of different body cameras, there was a dash camera, but as you know sometimes those can be not clear."

The state of North Carolina has a law that takes effect Oct. 1 that will require a judge to release a police video. That aside, Chief Putney has said he does not release police recordings until after investigations pertaining the case have been completed.

Read More: Charlotte Protesters School Media On What It’s Like To Be Black In US
Carbonated.TV