Chlorine Leaks In Mumbai Port, 103 Ill

At least 103 people, including some college students, were taken ill after they inhaled chlorine gas that leaked from an imported Mumbai Port Trust (MPT) cylinder on the Hay Bandar premises on Wednesday.With the Bhopal gas disaster still fresh in the minds of people, the chlorine leak is being seen as a case of negligence, especially as several cylinders containing the hazardous gas have been lying at the MPT yard and no official taking any steps to have them disposed of. A 45-member team of the National Disaster Response Force was brought in from Pune to figure out how to safely dispose of the remaining cylinders over the next few days. The condition of eight people, who were brought to J J Hospital, was said to be critical. Those who were badly affected after inhaling the leaking chlorine were moved to KEM, J J and BPT hospitals in South Mumbai, their faces and eyes stinging. Almost all of them gasped for breath and screamed in pain as they were admitted to the emergency wards of hospitals. The leak occurred around 3:15 pm from one of the cylinders stored in a warehouse for hazardous cargo, located near the Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Marine and Research Studies.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/81415/chlorine-leaks-mumbai-port-103.html