TOKYO — Japan's foreign minister apologized for the suffering of a group of former World War II prisoners of war visiting from the United States and said they were treated inhumanely. The six POWs, their relatives and the daughters of two men who died are the first group of U.S. POWs to visit Japan with government sponsorship, though groups from other countries have been invited previously. "I offer my deep, heartfelt apology for the inhuman treatment you suffered," Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada told the group Monday. The POW group's leader, 90-year-old Lester Tenney, who survived the Bataan Death March in 1942, said he welcomed the government's apology but still seeks recognition from the private companies that "used and abused" prisoners in their mines and factories, often under brutal conditions. "At no time have we gotten from these private companies just a letter," Tenney said. "These private companies have kept quiet for 65 years. It is an insult, because by their keeping quiet they are hoping we will die off." Japan surrendered in 1945 after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japanese leaders have apologized for the country's militarist past many times, but the government contends that all reparations issues were settled by treaties after the war. Japanese courts have also ruled that reparations issues must be dealt with on a country-to-country basis, but cases challenging that are pending in several courts. Tenney was involved for decades in trying to arrange the visit and has lobbied for redress from the companies that used POWs after their capture. The companies have had no comment on the visit. Tenney was taken prisoner in 1942 by the Japanese military and forced along with 78,000 prisoners of war — 12,000 Americans and 66,000 Filipinos — to walk from the Bataan peninsula on the Philippine island of Luzon to a prison camp.