Kesha Says She Was Offered Freedom In Return For Recanting Rape Claims

The ongoing battle between Kesha and her music producer, Dr. Luke, has once again come into the limelight after an Instagram post by the pop singer.



A New York judge threw out Kesha's court appeal on Wednesday.

The "Tik Tok" singer had appealed a decision stating she could not be released from her contract with Sony Music.

Kesha claimed producer Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald) had mentally and physically abused her for years, but  Judge Shirley Werner Kornreich tossed out the appeal because the pop singer "failed to plead that any of the alleged discrimination occurred in New York State or City."

Kornreich also disagreed with Kesha that the allegations constituted a hate crime because there was no evidence Dr. Luke exhibited any animosity towards women. 

“Although Gottwald’s alleged allegations were directed at Kesha, who is female, the [counterclaims] do not allege that Gottwald harbored animus toward women or was motivated by gender animus when he allegedly behaved violently toward Kesha,” the judge wrote. “Every rape is not a gender-motivated hate crime.”

29-year-old singer Kesha's legal battles against her producer, Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald, have spanned years and drained her financially and emotionally. And now the singer says she was offered an out — but for an unacceptable price.

Kesha sued Dr. Luke in 2014 for sexual assault and battery. Both sides have fought hard in the courtroom and for the public's support. Kesha wants to be let free from her recording contract, but lost a recent ruling that effectively keeps her professionally tied to the man she says raped her repeatedly.

In the latest salvo, Kesha took to Instagram on April 3 to post a selfie, which has garnered a significant amount of attention and sympathy from fans.

"So. I got offered my freedom IF i were to lie.I would have to APOLOGIZE publicly and say that I never got raped. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS behind closed doors. I will not take back the TRUTH. I would rather let the truth ruin my career than lie for a monster ever again,” the post reads.

Apparently, the singer was told to apologize and take back her words regarding the alleged rape, if she wished to continue with her music career and be free from contracts she had previously entered with Dr. Luke.

Read: Sony Is Reportedly Dropping Dr. Luke And Twitter Is Celebrating

A spokesperson for Dr. Luke slammed Kesha's post in a statement.

"The court repeatedly stated Kesha is already free to record without Dr. Luke, and that she had not presented any facts supporting her claims. That's because all the evidence — including Kesha's own videotaped sworn testimony — show her allegations are false.

"The only thing Kesha is not free to do is to continue to lie about Dr. Luke through publicity stunts and outrageous smears, ignoring the fact that by her own free will she went to work and entered new contracts with Dr. Luke years after this 'incident' supposedly happened," the statement continued. "Her goal all along has been solely personal enrichment by seeking to break contracts that brought her success and millions so she can enter into more lucrative ones. We look forward to our day in court holding Kesha accountable for her lies."

Contrary to this, Kesha’s fans are telling Sony Music to “Free Kesha” since the artist is not allowed to record music with any other producer except for Dr. Luke. Although she filed an appeal over the contract issue, the court denied Kesha’s request, which means that she must give up her music career if she refuses to work with Dr. Luke.

Kesha is refusing to stand up for anything but the truth, and has claimed “I would rather let the truth ruin my career than lie for a monster ever again.”

Also: Kelly Clarkson Was Also Forced To Work With Sony Sleazeball Dr. Luke

Hopefully the court will take note of the fact that forcing Kesha to work under Dr. Luke is a form of slavery and that if the music producer really is at no fault, he should set her free, and allow her to part ways.