Man May Get Hand Amputated After Attempting Selfie With Rattlesnake

by
Jessica Renae Buxbaum
A California man may lose his hand after being bitten by a rattlesnake on Monday when he picked up the venomous snake in an attempt to take a selfie with it.

selfie with rattlesnake, Alex Gomez

This proves how utterly stupid and oblivious our selfie culture has become.

A California man may lose his hand after being bitten by a rattlesnake on Monday when he picked up the venomous snake in an attempt to take a selfie with the reptile.

Alex Gomez made the dangerous mistake of approaching the rattlesnake near his family's ranch in Lake Elsinore, picking it up with his hands and draping it around his neck for an adventurous outdoor selfie.

Recommended: Woman Accidentally Shoots Herself In The Head While Taking A Selfie

His nephew was with him and witnessed the snake was not happy to be played with it, noting the 4-foot snake was rattling away — a clear warning for Gomez to back off.

The rattlesnake bit Gomez’s hand, causing it to swell up and his body to tingle.

While the 36-year-old is being treated with anti-venom, his mother believes he may lose his hand because of the incident.

“His skin is already rotting away,” Deborah Gomez told KCAL9.

She’s hoping that the mass of news outlets reporting on Gomez’s thoughtless error will teach him a lesson she assumed he already knew.

“I told him the news people had been calling, and he said ‘Mom, you better not’, and I said ‘I’m going to’. I’m going to teach him a real good lesson when he gets home. No mercy for him.”

Read more: These Animals' Selfie Game Is Too Strong

Carbonated.TV