Man Shot Dead In Culcheth, Cheshire, Named As Anthony Grainger

A man who was shot dead by police after his car was stopped during "a planned operation" in Cheshire has been named.

The scene of the shooting is the subject of an IPCC investigation

A man who was shot dead by police after his car was stopped during "a planned operation" in Cheshire has been named.

Anthony Grainger, 35, of Bolton, was stopped by armed police in Culcheth. The shooting happened at about 19:20 GMT on Saturday.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said he had died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Three men arrested by police have been charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.

Greater Manchester Police said its officers performed first aid on Mr Grainger but he died at the scene.

An inquest is to be opened on Monday at Warrington Coroner's Court.

The IPCC issued a statement: "Investigators are continuing with their investigation into the death and have been present at the scene since last night.

"The independent investigation will consider the actions of all the officers at the scene, as well as the planning, decision making and implementation of the operation which led to the death."

Eyewitness Jessica Brown, 15, said: "I saw loads of police cars driving past and I saw three men run past the pizza place with gasmasks on and guns and police chasing them.

"Then my friend's dad came and picked us up and said it wasn't safe to be out here."

Her father Anthony said: "I was just putting out my tea when Jessica ran in screaming.

"I went to look but the police told me to get inside. It's shocking, Culcheth is normally a quiet village."

A car was later removed from the scene close to the village supermarket and a care home for the elderly.

The scene of the shooting, in a public car park, has been cordoned off.

'Heard screaming'

The car park is near shops, restaurants and bars, including The Cherry Tree pub.

Pub manager Mike Davies said his chef had been in the back yard at the time.

"He said he heard what he thought was a firework.

"He saw a whiff of smoke and then he heard screaming," said Mr Davies.

"We are all pretty gobsmacked that something like this could happen here in Culcheth, a semi-rural village," he added.

Greater Manchester's Deputy Chief Constable, Ian Hopkins, said: "Our thoughts are with the man's family during what will clearly be a very difficult and emotional time, and specially trained family liaison officers have been in contact with the family.

"I want to assure them that ourselves, Cheshire Police and the Independent Police Complaints Commission will carry out a thorough investigation which will establish all the facts."

Cheshire police said patrols had been increased in the area. It said the community of Culcheth "should be reassured that this is an isolated incident and there is no risk to the community as a whole".

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) spokesperson said: "The IPCC has been informed by Cheshire Constabulary of an incident near Jackson Avenue, Culcheth, Cheshire at approximately 7.20pm on Saturday 3 March where a man was fatally shot by armed officers from Greater Manchester Police.

"The incident has been referred to the IPCC who will independently investigate."