S.Korea Bolsters Troops On Bombarded Island, Warns N.Korea

"(AFP)
South Korea deployed rocket launchers and extra artillery on a frontline border island bombarded last week by North Korea, as Seoul's leader vowed Monday to make Pyongyang pay for any fresh provocations.

An AFP photographer saw extra soldiers on the island and multiple rocket launchers being installed, six days after the barrage which triggered fury in the South and alarm worldwide.

Military officials quoted by Yonhap news agency said the number of K-9 self-propelled howitzers there had been doubled to 12.

Officials in a loudspeaker broadcast also announced plans for a live-fire drill Tuesday and told residents to shelter in bunkers. But hours later, another broadcast announced there would be no such drill and blamed ""wrong information"".

The drill had been planned but was delayed, a military official told Yonhap news agency on condition of anonymity. The reason was unclear.

President Lee Myung-Bak, under fire for the military's perceived feeble response to last Tuesday's attack which killed two civilians and two marines, indicated Seoul would not make the same mistake twice.

""If the North commits any additional provocations against the South, we will make sure that it pays a dear price without fail,"" the grim-faced leader said in a nationally televised address, calling the shelling ""a crime against humanity"".

Lee made no mention of China's call for talks to end the crisis, in what one analyst saw as a tacit dismissal of it. Instead, he highlighted Pyongyang's past deadly attacks. "