Swimmer Dies After An Amoeba Eats His Brain

An Oklahoma swimmer died after being infected by a brain-eating amoeba in Lake Murray. Health officials are warning swimmers to be wary of the deadly amoeba.

 naegleria fowleri amoeba

A carefree swim in a lake soon turned into a horror movie plot twist after Oklahoma swimmer died after a brain-eating amoeba, which thrives in warm water, infected the swimmer.

You thought you were afraid of what could be living at the bottom of the lake turns out it’s not a sea monster you should fear but rather a brain-eating amoeba instead.

An Oklahoma swimmer died on Wednesday after being tragically infected by an amoeba in Lake Murray. Health officials have warned of the deadly Naegleria fowleri amoeba, which lives in warm bodies of freshwater and usually encountered in the southern United States during the summer.

brain tissue

The unnamed victim died after contracting primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, an infection that travels through the nose and infects the brain. The infection, while is rare, is 98% fatal. Health officials are advising swimmers to hold their nose when swimming so as to avoid water entering the nose. 

Read more: Man Visits Hospital For Leg Pain, Learns He Is Missing Half His Brain

Banner photo credit: Bill Rand

View Comments

Recommended For You