Talks Between North And South Korea To Resume Wednesday

"""Little progress was made"" at working-level military talks between North and South Korea on Tuesday, but the two sides are set to resume negotiations Wednesday, a South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman said, according to South Korea's news agency.

The first inter-Korean dialogue in months began at 10 a.m. Tuesday and four rounds of talks were held through the day at the truce village of Panmunjom, the Defense Ministry said.

There was an air of friendliness when colonel-level officials from both countries appeared before cameras, though the representatives struggled to make headway in the talks.

""Little progress was made at today's working-level military talks, but the two sides agreed to resume the talks as of 10 a.m. on Wednesday,"" said Kim Min-seok, a Defense Ministry spokesman, South Korea's official Yonhap news agency reported.

The agency said the talks, which stretched for more than nine hours Tuesday, are aimed ""at setting the date, place and agenda for higher-level talks, possibly at the level of defense ministers.""

The meeting signals a change in tone after tensions between the two sides escalated sharply last year, but higher-level military talks will be held only if the North promises to refrain from further provocations, the South has said.

The preliminary talks are led by Col. Moon Sang-gyun of the South and Col. Ri Son-kwon of the North, who have served before ""as representatives for working-level military talks from each side for years,"" Yonhap reported

The South demanded that Pyongyang take responsibility for last year's military provocations and promise not to carry out any more attacks, Yonhap reported Kim said. The Seoul government also has proposed holding inter-Korean talks between high-ranking government officials to discuss denuclearization, something the North has not yet responded to.

Last month, South Korea's Unification Ministry said it had reo