A customer at an Arby's in Michigan got a little more than roast beef in his sandwich last week when he bit into a piece of a finger, the Jackson Citizen Patriot reports.
Ryan Hart, 14, tells the newspaper he was almost done with the sandwich when he tasted something rubbery. He spat it out and saw the back of a finger extending beyond the first knuckle. His reaction: "I was "about to puke. ... It was just nasty."
Steve Hall, environmental health director for the Jackson County Health Department, tells the Citizen Patriot an Arby's employee had sliced her finger while operating a meat slicer and left her station without immediately telling anyone what happened. Other workers were filling an order before they became aware of the situation, Hall says.
The restaurant did not close.
"Somebody loses a finger, and you keep sending food out the window? I can't believe that," says Ryan's mom, Jamie Vail. She tells the paper the store was packed at the time and "they should have shut it down."
John Gray, vice president for corporate communication for Arby's Restaurant Group, says that upon learning of the "isolated and unfortunate accident," the restaurant stopped food production and thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the restaurant.
"Arby's wants to reassure customers that we are committed to providing quality food in a safe and healthy environment. We are deeply concerned and apologetic to the guest involved in this unfortunate incident," Gray says in a statement.
Ryan tells the Citizen Patriot he is feeling fine and normal but a little concerned.
"He hasn't been able to sleep very good. He's really worried lately, and he doesn't want to catch anything," Vail says.
She says her son is "traumatized" -- and she has been in touch with a lawyer but has not decided whether she will sue Arby's.