60-year-old shipwreck explorer says he's found terrorist's body - and just needs $300,000 to test its authenticity
A year after Osama Bin Laden was killed, a California treasure hunter claims to know where the body was dumped in the ocean.
"I've located where it was thrown," Bill Warren told Spanish newspaper El Mundo of the Al Qaeda mastermind's corpse. "I'm the only one with this information. It's 200 miles to the west of the Indian city of Surat."
Warren, 60, is a marine explorer, author and former congressional hopeful who has been hunting shipwrecks since the 1970s.
He says he was able to find the location by looking at satellite images given to him by a source at the Pentagon, and claims the photos show soldiers dumping the body in the water at 11 a.m. on May 2, 2011.
"He's at the bottom of the ocean and the soldiers put weights on him," Warren told the paper.
Warren wants to locate the body and run DNA tests because he "doesn't trust the government" or President Obama that the remains are actually that of Bin Laden, he told El Mundo.
The deep-sea treasure-seeker first announced his plans to investigate the authenticity of the remains in June 2011, telling TMZ Obama had “failed to provide the proof” Bin Laden had in fact been killed.
On May 1, 2011, Obama famously announced Bin Laden had been killed in a Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recalled the terrorist’s sea burial in an interview this week with NBC News’ Brian Williams.
"Obviously, [it's] never easy to see any dead body, but it was part of the job,” she said. “I think we made the right decision not to sensationalize this, not to desecrate it, so to speak. His body was flown to a Navy ship. It was given a proper Islamic burial at sea and I think that we handled it exactly right."
Warren is in Azerbaijan on what he says is a contract with the government to explore the Caspian Sea for shipwrecks, trying to find $300,000 to finance his mission.
Without that it seems unlikely he’ll gain the momentum to execute the search, since the fund-raising effort on his website BinLadenSeaHunt.com has proved unsuccessful. To date, he has reportedly only received one donation for $15.
Warren aims to start his exploration on June 1 and believes he can find the body within a week if his information is accurate - though it could take as long as three months.
"My only fear is that the U.S. will try to kill me," he said. "Or sink my ship. It's a huge risk. This zone is full of spy satellites. And you can’t hide from America."