Not five days after a peace deal was announced, reports of fighting between Russian and Ukrainian forces have emerged again.
"We and the Ukrainian military forces are fully observing the ceasefire regime, but unfortunately in the past 24 hours there have been 112 attacks from the terrorists from Donetsk and Luhansk," Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said during a visit to the Bulgarian capital, according to Reuters.
"These are artillery attacks, mortar attacks and attacks with Grad (rocket systems)," Klimkin said.
Following marathon peace talks in the Belarusian capital of Minsk last week, the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France announced that a ceasefire would come into effect on Feb. 14. It also involves the withdrawal of heavy weapons from the front line.
At the time of negotiations, Germany’s foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier had cautioned that it the ceasefire was neither a "comprehensive solution" nor a "breakthrough.”
Turns out, Steinmeier was right.
Ukraine's foreign minister says there have been 112 attacks on Ukrainian forces by separatists in the past 24 hours. #Ukraine— Gavin Hewitt (@BBCGavinHewitt) February 16, 2015
The peace deal included weapon withdrawals and prisoner exchanges, however, the Ukrainian military refused to remove its artillery because pro-Russian separatists have continuously violated the truce.
Newly mobilized soldiers train with weapons at the 169th training center of Ukrainian ground forces "Desna" in the Chernihiv region – Reuters
A ceasefire was also announced last September, but tensions between the two countries escalated again after Russian separatists went all out against the Ukrainian government last month.
Around 5,400 people, mainly civilians, have been killed in eastern Ukraine since the conflict broke out between government troops and rebel forces last year, according to the United Nations.
Recommended: Why Russia And Ukraine Are At War – Yet Again