The United States on Thursday said it would transfer two men from the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to the government of Algeria after a comprehensive review of their cases.
The Pentagon announced the transfer of Nabil Said Hadjarab and Mutia Sadiq Ahmad Sayyab, who it said were approved for transfer after a review by an interagency task force. It was not immediately clear how long they had been held by the U.S. government.
"As a result of that review, which examined a number of factors, including security issues, these men were approved for transfer by consensus of the six departments and agencies comprising the task force," the Pentagon said in a statement.
It said 164 detainees remained at the Guantanamo Bay site.