Woman Severely Injured On A Plane After Her Headphones Exploded

by
“I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.”

If you fear air travel, now there is one more thing you need to be scared of — your headphones.

An airline passenger was severely burnt after a pair of battery-powered headphones caught fire mid-flight. The incident occurred during a flight between Beijing and Melbourne, when an unnamed female passenger started to feel a burning sensation on her face.

The woman, who remains unidentified, fell asleep while listening to music on the headphones provided by the unnamed Australian airline. She had the headphones on for two hours, and suddenly she heard an explosion.

“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face," she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which issued a statement as a warning to other passengers. "I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck.” 

The disturbing pictures shared by ATSB showed her face covered in soot, but the intense blisters on her hands were really obvious.

Airline passenger

airline passenger

Flight attendants rushed to help her after she tried to stop the fire by stamping on the headphones.

"As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them,” she added. “They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.”

The female passenger described her entire ordeal mentioning that she wasn’t the only one suffering.

"People were coughing and choking the entire way home," she said, revealing the cabin reeked of melted plastic and burnt hair. 

According to the safety bureau, which did not reveal the headphones brand, this was a battery issue and not a headphone issue. It was likely the batteries inside the headphones had caught fire, rather than the headphones themselves.

"Lithium-ion batteries have a history of issues in relation to mobile and portable devices. But all batteries contain stored energy and are therefore potentially risky," ATSB commented

The communications manager for Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Peter Gibson, said an investigation would be carried out.

"If it seems the device was damaged, then that will explain it ... but you know if it was a genuine battery and hadn't been abused then we will go to the manufacturer and see what's going on," he said.

Sadly, this disturbing incident of battery operated devices catching fire is not new. Previously, the U.S. and other countries banned Samsung Galaxy note 7 phones on flight to keep the passengers safe as their phones kept on exploding across the world.

Carbonated.TV
View Comments

Recommended For You