A wine bar is being fined $156,000 after serving a teenager a liquid nitrogen cocktail that forced her stomach to be removed.
Finally being able to legally drink definitely calls for a well-deserved hangover, but getting so drunk you lose your stomach is never worth the celebration.
In 2012, Gaby Scanlon celebrated her 18th birthday by going to Oscar’s Wine Bar and Bistro in Lancaster, England where the bartender prepared her a liquid nitrogen cocktail on the house, allegedly telling the teenager to “drink it while it’s still smoking,” Scanlon’s friend said.
Immediately after drinking the cocktail, Scanlon, now 20, said she felt "an explosion" in her stomach.
“Smoke was coming from my nose and mouth,” Scanlon told the court on Thursday.
“Straight away I knew something was not right. My stomach expanded. The manager said nothing about waiting for it to die down.”
Scanlon still experiences agonizing pain from the incident and no longer enjoys eating, according to her legal team.
The bar plead guilty for failing to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment.
A health and safety officer had visited the bar a few months ago prior to the terrifying event, expressing concerns about liquid nitrogen drinks and even sent a letter to the company that went unanswered.
Banner photo credit:
Recommended: These Are By Far The Coolest Bars In The World