Yale Student Killed After Hair Gets Caught

by
LoveLife
A student in her final year at Yale died Tuesday night when her hair got snagged in a piece of machinery inside a chemistry lab machine shop at the University, a Yale official said this morning.

A student in her final year at Yale died Tuesday night when her hair got snagged in a piece of machinery inside a chemistry lab machine shop at the University, a Yale official said this morning.    

Michele Dufault, a senior majoring in astronomy, reportedly had no pulse when fire personnel arrived at the scene after receiving an emergency call from the lab at 2:33 a.m. Investigations have now been turned over to Yale police.

The senior student, who was working on a senior project and was planning to graduate in a month, was found sitting at a metal lathe with her hair wrapped around part of the machine, which was believed to be spinning extremely fast when Dufault’s hair was caught.

The lab was closed Wednesday and classes were also canceled today in the building that houses the lab. The school is offering counseling to students grieving with the tragedy, and issued a statement to Yale students and faculty.

"By all reports, Michele was an exceptional young woman, an outstanding student and young scientist, a dear friend and a vibrant member of this community," Yale Vice President Linda Lorimer wrote in her message. "We will find ways in the next day to gather to celebrate her life and grieve her loss."

Tags:
Carbonated.TV