The conflict in Yemen has killed nearly 400 children since the end of March, and hundred others are being recruited by militias, according to a damning new report by the United Nations.
The onslaught began after Saudi forces, joined by nine other countries, launched “Operation Decisive Storm” in Yemen against Shiite Houthi rebels allegedly supported by the Iranian regime.
Around 2,000 civilians have been killed so far, however, the situation is going to get a lot worse, especially for children, since the war has left Yemen on the brink of famine.
Recommended For You: Who Are Houthi Rebels And What’s The Yemen Conflict: A Short Explainer?
The World Food Program estimates that close to 13 million people need food aid, including 6 million who are “severely food insecure.”
“Right now, the conflict-driven convergence between the lack of staple food, access to clean water, and a diminished fuel supply create the dawn of a perfect storm for the most vulnerable Yemeni people,” said Ertharin Cousin, WFP executive director.
“The damage to Yemen’s next generation may become irreversible if we don’t reach children quickly with the right food at the right time. We must act now before it is too late,” Cousin added.
UNICEF's report released on Wednesday states 398 children have been killed and 377 others have been recruited as child soldiers since the Saudi-led coalition air strikes began.
"This conflict is a particular tragedy for Yemeni children," Julien Harneis, UNICEF representative in Yemen, said. "Children are being killed by bombs or bullets and those that survive face the growing threat of disease and malnutrition. This cannot be allowed to continue," he added.
The conflict has been described as “catastrophic” by the intergovernmental organization, with 80 percent of the population currently in need of aid. But the collective response of the world community to the troubles of the affected Yemeni people, especially of the U.S. which is supporting Saudi Arabia in this irrational war, has been more than disappointing.