It may be hard to believe but sports have existed for thousands of years. Try 17, 300 years to be precise. Yes, our forefathers were playing sports long before the human civilization took its current form.
Of course, in the olden days competitions weren't as fancy and spectacular as they are now, but it is still fascinating to know that folks enjoyed their sports back in the day too. The absence or lack of visual media back then restricts us from seeing what really went on during those times, but whatever little we have can be seen down below.
1. Kansas University basketball team with James Naismith, the man who invented basketball, 1899
2. The 1st Tour de France. Maurice Garin, in white, won the Tour, 1903
3. The Grand Prix in Monaco, 1955
4. Harvard vs. McGill, the earliest photographed American football game, 1874
5. Sheffield FC, the world's first soccer team, in 1865
6. Leonard vs. Cushing boxing fight, June 1894
7. A high school football game continues as a fire rages on at a school in Northfield, Massachusetts, 1965
8. The English cricket team on their way to the USA, 1859
9. A one-legged race in New York, 1918
10. World's first hockey team - Montreal, 1881
11. Summer Olympics men's singles tennis final, 1896
12. Royal Montreal Golf Club, 1882
13. The First England Team in the 1st international vs. Scotland in Edinburgh, 1871