AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani will hold talks with Manchester City on Thursday over the possible transfer of Carlos Tevez.
Galliani will travel to Manchester to discuss the move with City officials.
It is believed City will allow the striker, 27, to join Milan on loan in January if the Italian club commits to a permanent deal in the summer.
Milan have previously had a bid of 23m euros (£19.3m) for the Argentine rejected by the Premier League leaders.
The Serie A giants have been chasing Tevez for several weeks, with the sticking point being the terms of the transfer.
Galliani confirmed that a meeting with City had been arranged in interviews with Italian media on Monday.
He said: "On Thursday we have an appointment with Manchester City for Tevez but it will probably not be the decisive one to conclude negotiations.
"We're not going to take him outright, we're offering a free loan with the right to buy in June.
"The player wants to come to us and not PSG [Paris St Germain] and we hope City accept the offer."
Tevez is currently in his native Argentina having flown home without City's permission in November.
He has also been linked with a move to Paris St Germain, but the French side's director of football Leonardo said he will not stand in AC Milan's way if they can conclude a deal.
Leonardo, a former Milan player and manager, told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "I will not steal Tevez from Milan.
"I have not contacted the player and I will not get in between the Rossoneri's affairs.
"Even though I didn't share the views of [AC Milan owner Silvio] Berlusconi which meant it was impossible for me to stay at Milan, the relations with the club are good."
Tevez has not played for City since they beat Birmingham on 21 September.
City boss Roberto Mancini alleged he refused to come off the substitutes' bench in September's Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich, while the player maintained there had been a misunderstanding.
An internal club investigation concluded that Tevez, who joined City in July 2009, was guilty of five breaches of his contract and he was fined four weeks' wages, reduced to two following intervention from the Professional Footballers' Association.
Please login to add to favorites
Already added to favorites
Added as Favorite