Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz was out of the hospital and back in Boston's clubhouse at Fenway Park on Wednesday morning.
Buchholz hasn't pitched since June 19 and went on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with what the team later revealed to be esophagitis. He was admitted to the hospital Friday and in stable condition Tuesday, when the club released a statement saying he will make a full recovery.
Buchholz lost three pounds and said the ordeal was very scary. Before returning to the mound, he wants to rebuild the strength in his legs.
"I've felt pretty good for the last two days," Buchholz said. "[I have] to start slow."
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said Tuesday that decision as to whether Buchholz will spend more than 15 days on the disabled list is "something we're dealing with every day."
Buchholz is 8-2 with a 5.53 ERA in 14 starts this season, but he had been enjoying his best stretch of the season just before being placed on the DL. In four June starts, Buchholz was 4-0 with a 2.40 ERA, racking up 25 strikeouts in 30 innings.
Please login to add to favorites
Already added to favorites
Added as Favorite