Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has postponed his talk with Jonathan Martin until after the NFL's independent investigator meets with the distressed tackle in its probe into alleged bullying, the team said on Tuesday.
Ross had said in a news conference on Monday before Miami's game against Tampa Bay that he set up a Wednesday meeting with Martin, who left the team at the end of last month and later claimed he was the victim of harassment.
The National Football League last week appointed Ted Wells, a noted New York attorney with experience in sports cases, to investigate possible misconduct in the workplace in the wake of the unfolding harassment scandal.
"Ted Wells and the National Football League have asked that we delay our meeting with Jonathan Martin until they have the opportunity to meet with him," Dolphins president Tom Garfinkel said in a statement.
"Out of deference to the process, we will cooperate with their request. We look forward to meeting with Jonathan as soon as possible."
Miami has already indefinitely suspended Martin's fellow offensive lineman Richie Incognito, who was singled out by the former's representatives for abusive behavior toward the second-year player.