A 15-year-old student killed herself allegedly because of her Wi-Fi allergy which was exacerbated by her school, a British mother told a court inquest.
Jenny Fry was found hanging from a tree on June 11 near her home after telling her friend she wasn’t going to school and planned to die.
Fry suffered from tiredness, headaches and bladder problems that her parents believed were caused by electro-hypersensitivity (EHS).
The family had taken Wi-Fi out of the house, but the school failed to accommodate Fry thereby increasing her misery.
“She was receiving lots of detentions, not for being disruptive in class or misbehaving, but often because she used to take herself out of the classroom to find another where she was able to work,” Fry’s mother, Debra, told the court.
She added that Fry asked her teachers if she could take her detentions in rooms where she could concentrate but they refused to listen to her.
"It's a misunderstood condition and schools are reluctant to do anything because the Wi-Fi companies have money and tell schools it is safe,” Debra said.
Yet Chipping Norton School’s headmaster, Simon Duffy, countered the notion that Fry’s health wasn’t a priority.
“Jenny's safety at school was just as important as anyone else's,” Duffy said. “Just like many other public spaces, Chipping Norton School does have Wi-Fi installed to enable use to operate effectively. The governors are content that the installed equipment complies with the relevant regulations and will ensure this continues to be the case."
Debra argues that Fry was not suicidal but had reached a breaking point in her school’s handling of her condition.
“I fully believe Jenny did not intend to take her own life. I think she was frustrated with school,” Debra said. “She had not made any suggestions she was thinking of suicide and I believe it was a cry for help.”
Fry’s family is now raising awareness of EHS and hoping to remove Wi-Fi from schools. The rare allergy has prompted skepticism because of its broad symptoms, but that should not the international health community recognizes it as a real syndrome.
Banner image credit: Twitter