Shares in Facebook ended their first day on the stock exchange only slightly up on their starting price, as one of the most eagerly awaited introductions to the market in years turned out to be a damp squib.
The social network's shares started yesterday at a value of $38 (£24) and, despite rising quickly to $42, finished the day just 23 cents above where they began.
However, it is certainly not all bad news for Facebook, as its flotation on the Nasdaq platform reveals it is worth in the region of $105 billion, making it more valuable than McDonald's, Hewlett Packard and Amazon.
Founder and chief executive officer Mark Zuckerberg had earlier declared the day an "important milestone" in Facebook's history and one that would set it on the path to further growth.
He was keen to remind employees and observers that his firm's objective will never be to be a public company as it is only to "make the world more open and connected".
Investors are able to buy 15 per cent of Facebook's shares, with Zuckerberg holding on to the other 85 per cent.
The signs are, though, that the investment banks have already priced it in the right range and there is no immediate opportunity for substantial growth.
Please login to add to favorites
Already added to favorites
Added as Favorite