Mat Jones from the South Coast of New South Wales shared footage from the car fire that he says was caused by the latest Apple iPhone model that he’s had for just a week.
Jones told reporters that he had wrapped his phone in some clothes and placed the bundle on the seat of his car while he went to catch some waves, but when he returned, his car was severely damaged and his iPhone was destroyed.
He insists that the phone caught fire out of the blue, maintaining that he hadn’t damaged the phone or used a shoddy charger since purchasing it.
"As I look into my car you could not see inside the car. All the windows were just black," he reportedly said. "Ash was coming from inside the pants. Once you unwrapped the pants, the phone was just melting inside of it."
While some media outlets are suggesting that the iPhone “exploded,” there is no proof that such a phenomenon took place.
However, Mashable notes that overcharging, puncturing, or severely damaging the phone are potential reasons why an iPhone 7 may catch fire. The temperature conditions inside Jones’ car could have also been a factor.
A NSW man says his iPhone 7 burst into flames and filled his car with smoke. https://t.co/7hkrfY9D0f— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) October 20, 2016
Interestingly, Jones isn’t the first to complain of an iPhone “explosion” in Australia. A British mountain biker named Gareth Clear was recently hospitalized after his iPhone 6 burst into flames and burned his skin through his shorts.
The phone apparently overheated as he was riding along Manly Dam located in the Northern Beaches region of Sydney in the summer heat.
Perhaps Australia’s climate is simply not conducive to owning an iPhone — or, more realistically, the phones just aren’t meant to be in the sun for extended periods of time.
Apple has confirmed that they are aware of Jones’ grievance and are investigating the matter. In the meantime, Jones should probably start working on replacing his phone and his car.
Banner Photo Credit: Twitter @sheilaweeks