It’s one of the strangest traditions we have in America: every year the U.S. President pardons a turkey or two in honor of Thanksgiving. It’s unclear what the turkeys, Popcorn and Caramel, did to warrant pardoning, but in America, in late November, all turkeys are guilty of being turkeys. President Obama had some fun with the turkey pardoning. Here are his best one-liners from the gobble-fest.
1. “The office of the presidency — the most powerful position in the world — brings with it many awesome and solemn responsibilities. This is not one of them.”
2. “Now, 80 turkeys on John’s farm competed for the chance to make it to the White House, and stay off the Thanksgiving table. It was, quite literally, the hunger games.”
3. “The competition was stiff, but we can officially declare that Popcorn is the winner — (applause) — proving that even a turkey with a funny name can find a place in politics.”
4. “Popcorn, you have a full reprieve from cranberry sauce.”
5. “As for Caramel, he’s sticking around, and he’s already busy raising money for his next campaign.”