Woman's Handbag Blows Up In Smoke From Faulty E-Cigarette

by
Lisa Nguyen
Security footage from a mall in New Jersey shows a woman’s handbag smoking after an e-cigarette lithium-ion battery exploded in her bag.

A terrifying video taken from security footage in a mall shows a woman’s handbag up in smoke after her e-cigarette battery exploded.

According to NBC New York, the woman, Mara McInerney, was shopping at the Freehold Raceway Mall in New Jersey over the weekend when the incident happened.

McInerney said that it was “Terrifying, scary. It sounded like a gunshot. It sounded like a bomb went off. It was 9/11. I thought someone had put something in my bag.”

The footage shows dark, thick smoke rising from the inside of her purse. Other shoppers in the store were startled and moved away from the bag as McInerney dumped it onto the floor and realized that the battery for her e-cigarette was charred.

Heat from the explosion melted holes in her bag.

McInerney claimed that she always stores her e-cigarette in the pocket of her handbag, and she said she’s just glad that her 4-year-old was not near her bag when the incident occurred.

She said, “It could have exploded in her face.”

This is not the only case of its kind.

Lithium-ion batteries are known for being powerful, but it comes with a price. They have been the culprit in multiple fires and explosions. Others have reported their e-cigarettes igniting while on them.

McInerney claimed, “There was no warning”.

According to New York Daily News, McInerney burned her fingertips in the incident and vowed to never use e-cigarettes again, asking “Is it worth it? It is worth losing a hand over, or possibly having my child’s face blown off? The answer is no.”

This is just one of many cases of a lithium battery exploding or causing a fire, but fortunately, no one was injured this time. 

Read More: Exploding Samsung Note 7 Sets Fire To Man’s Car

Banner credit: Screenshot from Youtube

Carbonated.TV