Body Cam Video Shows Cops Fatally Shooting 6-Year-Old Autistic Boy

The video, released as part of an evidentiary hearing, shows Jeremy Mardis’ father stopping the car and raising his hands moments before the cops open fired.

Some viewers might find the contents of this video disturbing.

Almost a year after Louisiana police fatally shot a 6-year-old autistic boy sitting in the passenger seat of his father’s car, a judge released the body cam footage of the incident that does not show the cops were in fear for their lives, as they have been claiming since the beginning.

Jeremy Mardis was killed on a dead-end-street in Marksville on Nov. 3, 2015, after two deputy marshals pursued his father’s SUV.

The cops claimed to have witnessed an argument between the man, Christopher Few, and his girlfriend in front of a local bar. When the moved in to detain him, he reportedly took off and then refused to pull over.

The chase ended with cops opening fire on the car. Mardis was struck five times in the face and chest while Few survived. The officers claimed they did not know about kid and that Few was using his car as a “deadly weapon” at the time.

The video largely negates this.

The graphic clip, made public on Wednesday, shows Few stop his car, which was not even pointed in their direction, and raise his hands moments before the cop began shooting at him.


Several officers were then seen discussing the situation and how best to proceed. Meanwhile, Few, who was critically injured, showed his hands to the officers and slowly, crawled out of the car to lie on the asphalt.

A cop called dispatch to ask about another officer's arrival time and describes Few’s condition as “severely critical.”

“I never saw a kid in the car, bro,” said an officer wearing the camera before eventually walking around to the passenger side and shining his flashlight onto the child's motionless body. An officer can be heard vomiting off-camera as another checks the first-grader’s pulse and then unbuckles him, exclaiming “oh my God.”

Later, an EMT pronounced the child dead.

The superintendent of the Louisiana State Police called the video, released as part of an evidentiary hearing, “the most disturbing thing I've seen.”

Louisiana State Police

A grand jury inducted two marshals, identified as 32-year-old Derrick Stafford and 23-year-old Norris Greenhouse, on murder charges in December. Previously, they also claimed that Few was wanted on an outstanding warrant, but it turned out, there was never a warrant for Few’s arrest.

Authorities could not find a gun in the car either.

Stafford and Greenhouse are awaiting separate murder trials later this year.

A part of the video can be watched above.

View Comments

Recommended For You