Parenting is not easy, and sometimes, it can be downright dangerous. A Brooklyn father shot himself up with heroin and nearly died in an attempt to teach his addicted son a harsh lesson.
Sergey Gnatovskiy found his 23-year-old son Maykl's heroin stash and was expectedly furious. According to the New York Post, Gnatovskiy had been struggling to help his son with his addiction since the boy was kicked out of his mother's house as a teenager. With the threat of eviction due to Maykl's behavior with an former partner looming, Gnatovskly had been pushing for rehab with renewed urgency in order to keep his home and give his son a safe place to recover.
"I told him if you’re not going to stop, I will do the same as you do,” Gnatovskiy, 45, told the Post. “I [tried] to send him to rehab. He promised me he was going to go, and I found it again.”
It was a risky move, but one any parent who has ever been in a desperate situation with their child would sympathize with. While his son watched, Gnatovskiy began to overdose on the living room floor. Maykl told reporters that he knew immediately what was happening and used CPR in combination with a Narcan nasal spray to revive his father. It was a sad role reversal, as this was something Gnatovskiy had been forced to do to his son four times before.
“After seeing this, I definitely want to go," Maykl said of rehab. "I’ve been doing this since I was 15. I’m 23 now, I can’t keep doing this."
While Maykl said he will not forget the harrowing experience, Gnatovskiy can't remember much of it. He fell on the way to turn off the television, and when he became conscious again he was surrounded by "medical people."
“My son was screaming at me, ‘Pop, Pop, are you crazy, you almost died,’” he recalls, but for Gnatovskiy the risk is a no-brainer.
“If I lose you — I don’t know. Look what you made me do yesterday? I’ll give you my home, my car, my heart. I don’t want to lose you,” he yelled at Maykl, a single tear dripping down his cheek.
Heroin doesn't just damage those who use it, but their families and friends as well. The drug takes so much from people, and if an addict has a loving support system they also have so much to lose if they do not seek professional help. That's the message Gnatovskiy showed his son in perhaps the most drastic way possible, and he's lucky to be alive so he can see the man his son will hopefully become after treatment.
Banner/thumbnail credit: Reuters