32-Year-Old Indian Man Dies After Being Sucked Into MRI Machine

by
The oxygen cylinder activated the magnetic field of the MRI machine, which sucked in the man along with the cylinder with great force.

 

 

A man from Mumbai, India, was killed in a freak accident after he took a metal cylinder into a room with an MRI machine.

The 32-year-old, identified as Rajesh Maru, was taking his mother for an MRI test at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital when the incident happened. The young man was attending to the elderly woman and was holding a metal oxygen cylinder when they were asked to enter the room where the MRI machine was. When his relatives said metallic things were not allowed inside the room, a “ward boy” told them in Hindi, “It’s fine. We do it every day.”

However, it is not fine. The MRI machine, which is an abbreviation for Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine, uses extremely strong magnetic fields to generate images of the organs of the body. Any object containing metal, no matter how small, is strictly banned inside the MRI room.

Unfortunately for Maru, the machine was on when he entered the room. The metallic cylinder activated the magnetic field, which pulled in the cylinder — and the man holding it — toward it with great force, said eyewitnesses. Maru’s hand got stuck in the machine along with the cylinder, which ruptured and released a huge amount of oxygen.

Harish Solanki, Maru’s brother-in-law, and the ward boy were able to pull him out of the machine but the man’s body was swollen and bleeding badly. He was quickly taken to the emergency ward but he died in just 10 minutes.

Now the family is blaming the hospital for the incident. They say the staff was negligent since the machine was supposed to be off when people enter the room. They also accuse the ward boy of assuring them it was safe to go inside with a metal cylinder.

They are now asking for stern repercussions against the doctor and the ward boy.

Local MP Mangal Lodha also called out the hospital and demanded the family be compensated. A police investigation is also underway and authorities have registered Dr. Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and ward attendant Sunita Surve for causing Maru’s death because of their carelessness.

Banner/Thumbnail : Pixabay, jarmoluk

Carbonated.TV
View Comments

Recommended For You