Is Ramsey Orta’s Sentence Revenge For Filming Eric Garner’s Death?

“It will be OK,” Ramsey Orta told his family as Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rooney read out the sentence.

Ramsey Orta, the man who filmed Eric Garner’s death, has been sentenced to four years in prison on weapon and drug charges.

Protesters chanted “No justice no peace! F–k these racist police!” as they held their fists in the air while Orta was being handcuffed.

His family and supporters hold that Ramsey Orta is a victim of police retaliation for filming Eric Garner’s final moments and have expressed concerns about his well-being while he is serving his sentence.

During his arrest, Orta also allegedly told the officers, "You're just mad because I filmed your boy."

However, the police claim Orta was caught selling heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, oxycodone and anti-anxiety pills to an undercover officer nine times. What's more, he was also caught with a .25-caliber handgun, they say.

 “We’re feeling really upset,” said Lisa Ricardo, Orta’s aunt. “I would tell the police, don’t touch him. Hands off Ramsey. Leave him alone in jail.”

“Ramsey filmed Eric’s last words, and that’s how my child will hear his voice,” said Jewel Miller, the mother of Eric Garner’s youngest child. “Ramsey Orta is a young boy. He’s just getting into adulthood. He’s just becoming a man and it’s really sad.”

Ramsey Orta

The damning video recorded on his cell-phone showed Officer Daniel Pantaleo put a suspect, Eric Garner, in a choke hold — which is banned by the NYPD — while several other officers tried detaining him for purportedly peddling illegal cigarettes.

Garner could repeatedly be heard saying, “I can’t breathe,” before losing consciousness. The cops did not perform CPR on him and he was pronounced dead one hour later.

The medical examiner ruled Garner’s death a homicide, but the jury declined to indict Pantaleo, who had been previously accused of false arrest and violation of police procedures.

All the other officers involved were granted immunity.

The footage circulated widely on the internet, triggering outrage and raising questions about police tactics and use of force.

The New York City medical examiner ruled Garner's death a homicide caused by a choke hold.

View Comments

Recommended For You