Countries Fussing Most Over Refugees Barely Accepted 2 Percent Of Them

A lot of rich countries complaining about a “refugee crisis” are not really going through a crisis. The real influx is happening somewhere else.

Migrants and refugees

Ever since the refugee crisis broke out last year, rich countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia have been most vocal about not letting in too many migrants.

As it turns out, the governments protesting the sudden influx of foreigners have accepted barely 2 percent of them.

Of nearly 5 million refugees who have fled Syria, wealthy nations have pledged to resettle nearly 130,000. However, so far, only around 67,100 people — which equals to a mere 1.39 percent of the total number of refugees  have actually arrived since 2013, according to British charity Oxfam.

Only Canada, Germany, Norway have made resettlement pledges over and above their "fair share," a measure determined based on the size of the country’s economy.

The United States has pledged a meager 7 percent of the nearly 171,000 considered to be its fair share, Oxfam noted.

Recommended: Almost 90% of Syrian Refugees In The US Live In States Where They’re Unwelcome

So, if only 2 percent of 4.8 million Syrians displaced by civil are currently hosted by wealthy countries, where are the rest of the 98% right now?

In Lebanon and Jordan.

“Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey are struggling to cope with almost 5 million Syrian refugees,” stated Mark Goldring, chief executive of Oxfam GB. “Rich nations should be doing more to share the responsibility and offer refuge to some of the most vulnerable women and children affected by this crisis.” 

Moreover, the number of internally displaced people in Syria is more than 6.5 million, a figure that suggests a huge amount of people affected by the five-year bloody conflict are still trapped inside the embattled region.

Read More: Terrorists Are Hardly Ever Refugees

Mainstream media reporting of the so-called European refugee crisis provides a really false impression of what’s really going on with refugees.

Granted, the West is struggling to accommodate asylum-seekers and it is becoming a huge challenge, but it’s not as if the West is alone shouldering the responsibility of housing refugees.

In fact, they need to do more, considering Oxfam’s analysis, and stop complaining about something they’re not even doing in the first place.

Thumbnail/Banner Credits: REUTERS/Joshua Lott

View Comments

Recommended For You