Teenager Jonathan Chow Hua Guang was at Singapore’s Orchard Central mall when he attempted to perform a stunt that went horribly wrong and cost him his life.
Chow asked a girl standing next to him to take his picture while he jumped off a railing.
In the CCTV footage obtained from the incident, the girl can be seen raising her hand as if to record a video. However, a look of panic soon takes over as she looks down the ledge and sees Chow jump to his death.
The girl, who was identified by local media as Ruth, explained that both of them were supposed to leap on the ledge to record each other on Snapchat.
She told the local media that a ledge they thought was concrete could be seen past the railing.
“We both thought the ledge was made of concrete, but when he jumped, he fell straight through,” Ruth said. “I knew it was dangerous, but before I could stop him, he already jumped over.”
“I swear I wanted to jump over too but I knew it was too late,” she lamented.
Ruth recalled “Help me take a Snapchat video and I’ll jump” being Chow’s last words.
Grief stricken by his son’s tragic death, Chow’s father called for more safety measures at the mall. “The decorative structure was wide enough to look like a passageway, and there was no warning sign to tell people that it should not be walked on,” he said.
“We don’t want other families to go through what we went through.”
But Far East Organization, the owners of Orchard Central, said in a statement the glass railing along the bridge is 1.2 meters (3.9 feet), “acts as a safety barrier” for the public and “prohibits access to the plasterboard box-up.”
Going to extraordinary lengths for the sake of a selfie or video has become a common practice among youngsters and stunt performers. What happened to Chow is sad to say the least, but what is even more concerning is the fact that children and teenagers are willing to risk their lives for photos that will get them likes on social media.
Recently, a group of six children fell into freezing water while trying to take a selfie. If it was not for two models who came to rescue them, the kids could have frozen to death.
Banner/Thumbnail Credit: Reuters