Black Man Brutally Beaten By Neo-Nazis In VA Now Facing Charges

Deandre Harris, who was viciously beaten by a group of white supremacists in Charlottesville, is now wanted for assault in what supporters call a revenge tactic.

UPDATE: Police have charged 20-year-old Deandre Harris with unlawful wounding related to an incident in Charlottesville, Virginia, during which he was beaten and bloodied by white supremacists. 

Despite the fact that Harris was clearly outnumbered and came out with a spinal injury and a gash in his head that required 10 stitches, he is facing criminal charges. 

According to Al Jazeera, self-proclaimed "Southern Nationalist" Harold Crews is claiming that Harris injured him in a parking lot during the violent "Unite the Right" rally and counter-protests.

Unlawful wounding is reportedly a felony charge punishable by up to five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

This entire stunt clearly seems like a retaliation effort against Harris for speaking out about his assault and the activists who supported him, including Shaun King, who led the charge to identify the men who attacked Harris and other counter-protesters.  

Talk about extreme white privilege.

In yet another display of blatant discrimination toward people of color, Deandre Harris, who was actually beaten by a group of white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August, is now wanted for assault.

The ordeal of the 20-year-old black man was first discovered with a viral video, where Harris can be seen being pounded by white men. Following heaps of anger and uproar on social media, one of the alleged attackers, Alex Ramos, turned himself in to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office but not before portraying himself as the victim.

“It was not a deliberate attack, it was a defensive attack. These men attacked us. In my scenario, I thought I was going there on a defensive mode. You know, defending people from being attacked. I hit the man one time. Before I got there, men beat him with sticks and shields. I had nothing to do with that,” said Ramos.

The atrocious attack that occurred on Aug. 12 left Harris with a knee injury and a fractured wrist, concussion, abrasions, contusions across his body and a head laceration that required staples.

Now, apparently after an unidentified victim reported the incident to the magistrate office, the tables are turning around and they are not in Harris’ favor.

A magistrate issued a warrant for Harris' arrest.

Lt. Stephen Upman said an alleged unidentified victim went to the magistrate’s office to describe the scenarios that lead to a violent quarrel against Harris at the East Market Street parking garage. Earlier, Harris’ video went viral in the aftermath of the violent white supremacist rally, where a white supremacist killed a 32-year-old woman.

According to police, Harris is wanted for unlawful wounding; he is accused of attacking one of the men who participated in his assault.

Journalist Chuck Modi first posted the attack’s video on Twitter. The violent quarrel took place in a parking garage near the University of Virginia campus. In the footage, white supremacist marchers can clearly be seen beating up Harris with signs and poles as he struggles to stand. 

People on social media are naturally outraged after Harris was issued an arrest warrant.


Banner/Thumbnail: Reuter, Jonathan Ernst

View Comments

Recommended For You