Ohio parents charged after 8-year-old son overdoses on heroin https://t.co/h7ymkfDO94 ^NYDailyNews— The Page (@_ThePage) February 21, 2017
In today's terrible heroin epidemic news, an 8-year-old boy in Cleveland was rushed to the hospital from overdosing on his parents' drugs.
The incident happened last month, Elite Daily reports, after Charles Dowdy, 31, woke up and saw that his son's lips had turned blue.
According to Cleveland.com, Dowdy had been lying in bed with his son and wife, Danielle Simko, 31, when he woke up around 10:30 p.m. on Jan. 11. He called 911 after realizing his son's life-threatening condition. While waiting for paramedics, Dowdy attempted to perform CPR.
Now, Dowdy and Simko are being held on a $150,000 bond, Cleveland.com reports, on drug possession and endangering children charges. They will appear in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court on Feb. 22.
Hospital personnel reportedly found a bag of prescription pills and heroin tucked away in a toy in the boy's sock, although it's unknown how the boy used them, WKYC reports. Heroin, specifically, was found in his system. Dowdy confessed to using drugs earlier on the day of the incident.
Thankfully, the overdose was not fatal. According to neighbors of the family, the boy is OK and living with his grandparents, WKYC reports.
When will the sickness come to pass?
Banner and thumbnail credit: Reuters, Dinuka Liyanawatte