In a cringe-worthy twist of fate, a man may be stuck with a handlebar mustache henna tattoo on his face for the rest of his life.
According to The New Zealand Herald, Arran Waye got what was supposed to be a temporary tattoo as a “bit of a laugh” at the Benidorm fiesta in Spain. However, he had a gnarly allergic reaction to the henna that resulted in a permanent burn.
"The whole face was pushing out with blisters come Sunday, 2 o'clock in the morning," he reportedly said.
When it was time for Waye to return home to the United Kingdom, he almost didn’t even make it through security.
"Weren't sure if I could fly [sic]. I eventually took the risk and I did, and [my] airwaves were closing up. I had a bad allergic reaction. Then, as I landed, I struggled to get through passport control because my face didn't look like it did on the passport photo."
While Waye utlimately made it home, and the swelling eventually subsided, the ink is still visible on his face. He has since grown to regret the decision altogether.
“In all honesty, it was stupidity," he reportedly said.
Henna is, typically, considered relatively safe as it’s a natural dye made from the Lawsonia inermis plant, also known as hina, but it isn’t generally a good idea to trust complete strangers to apply any type of substance to your face or body without making sure they're legitimate and sanitary.
Furthermore, if Waye had never even tried henna before and had no idea how it would react to his skin, he shouldn’t have opted to get it on his face the first time.
Although his circumstances are certainly unfortunate, it seems like they stemmed from a series of poor decisions made under the guise of having a good time.
Banner/Thumbnail Photo Credit: Getty Images, selimaksan