In what could only be described as the worst Christmas surprise of the year, a woman found an unusual decoration wrapped around her festively ornamented tree one morning. At first, she probably thought it was tinsel, but it turned out to be a deadly snake, just chilling on the tree like it was nobody’s business.
However, instead of panicking like anyone else in her situation would, the Melbourne woman contacted the snake catchers to deal with the tiger snake, which had somehow managed to slither into the house and the tree without anyone noticing it.
Although tiger snakes are shy and rarely attack people unless, of course, poked or disturbed, they also rank among the top 10 most venomous snakes in the world. It is also a protected species, which means it is illegal to kill them in several Australian states.
Barry Goldsmith, the snake catcher who arrived at the house 20 minutes later and caught the toxic reptile, said he is used to finding snakes at the most unusual of places.
“I've found them in Ugg boots, washing machines, dog kennels, cat boxes, toilets, kitchen cupboards and bookcases,” he told BBC.
However, it was the first time he encountered a snake in a Christmas tree. Years ago, he said he did find a reptile lurking at the base of one, though.
“I'm all about stopping people from trying to hurt themselves,” Goldsmith explained. “Usually people cut the head off the snake, and don't realize it that its head is actually still alive for about 15 minutes ... lots of people get bitten while trying to pick up the severed head of the snake.”
The tiger snake was later released into the wilderness.
Thumbnail and Banner Image Credits: Wikimedia Commons