Texas Teen Dies In Bathtub From Holding Cell Phone

A teenage girl in Texas was killed when she grabbed her cell phone, which might've been plugged in, while she was sitting in the bathtub.

On Sunday, a 14-year-old girl from Lubbock, Texas, died when she was electrocuted from using her cell phone while in the bathtub, KCBD reported.

Madison Coe was in the bathtub at her father's house in New Mexico when she either grabbed her phone that was already plugged in or went to plug the device in to charge. 

According to her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, Coe had a burn mark on the hand that held the phone.

"And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened," O'Guinn said, according to KCBD. 

Coe was about to attend high school in Houston, was a member of her basketball team, and was a tuba player in her middle school's band.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn't need to happen to anyone else," O'Guinn continued. "And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging."

This isn't the first case in which a cell phone has proven to be a dangerous tool — and not just in the bathroom. In April 2016, a woman in Malaysia was allegedly shocked and killed when plugging her cell phone into the charger in a freak accident, which could have been attributed to knock-off cell phone parts. Earlier this year, a man was badly electrocuted when his metal dog tag necklace got caught on his cell phone's charger while he was sleeping.

Banner/thumbnail credit: Wikimedia Commons 

View Comments

Recommended For You